green circles





Monday, August 9, 2010

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

There comes a point when a haircut is necessary. Sometimes beyond necessary. I had a woman stop me about 2 weeks ago in a restaraunt and ask me, "Is that your real hair or do you have extensions?" That is a clear sign that a haircut is necessary. Long hair can be a pain - a long time to wash, to dry, to brush, to fix. When a haircut would be the easy way out, I have to remind myself what I am doing it for.

Last week Lauren and I went for our haircuts. It was time to cut off our hair that would be donated to an organization called Locks of Love, which uses the hair to create wigs for children who have lost their hair due to a medical condition. This haircut was my fourth (maybe fifth?) donation. I am weirdly attached to my hair. When it is curly I am happy, no matter how bad the day. I can't imagine being without my hair, much less losing it at such a young age. I am too big of a wimp to donate blood, so when I heard about this organization years ago, I knew this was a project I could get on board with.

Any time I cut my hair I am reminded of my first (or was it my second?) time to donate. I went to Hunstville to visit my grandmother. We thought it would be fun to donate my hair while there and then surprise my family when I returned to Bham with my new haircut. We went to the salon and the hairdresser took her time measuring the hair, putting it in a ponytail, and beginning to cut. As she cut off the ponytail, she began to cry. As she began to even out the remaining hair, she continued to cry. Not out loud, just calm, silent tears. My grandmother an I could only look at each other and wonder what was going on. My grandmother finally asked, "Are you ok?" The hairdresser explained that her daughter lost her hair to a medical condition and received wigs from Locks For Love. She told us she would be thrilled if her daughter received my hair one day. That was it - I was hooked. I knew that this was one way that I could help others by sacrificing a part of myself.

Ok...the part you have been waiting for - the pics. The gold star for bravery goes to Lauren, who didn't have the 10 inches to keep her hair long enough to stay at her shoulders. She definitely made a sacrifice with this donation!

me before

me after (with my donation)

Lauren before

Lauren after (with her donation)



Sisters with new haircuts!


2 comments:

  1. Precious haircuts... I know your hair curly les but OH MY GOSH it looks so amazing straight!! You seriously look like a supermodel with straight hair. Some of my fav pics of you of all time are from "Party like a Rock Star" when you have that straight long hair down. Beautiful hair anyone would be lucky to get it! I need to do it again soon my hair is getting long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks great!! what a wonderful gift to share!

    ReplyDelete